How to Throw a Cylinder on the Potter’s Wheel
Would you like to learn how to Throw a Cylinder on the Potter's Wheel? Are you currently looking to learn new ceramic skills or would you like to recap on the skills you already have?
When I began my journey of learning how to throw on the potters wheel I was always told to begin practicing by learning how to throw a cylinder first.
Leaning how to throw a cylinder firstly taught me how to centre clay on the wheel. It also taught me how to open up the clay, pull up the walls by considering the position of my hands and body. It also taught me how to shape the clay using tools. Finally, it encouraged me to keep an eye on my progress by checking the thickness of the walls and base. This enabled me to monitor my progress.
In this downloadable content you will receive a 28 page PDF document with colour images with a step by step guide and tips. The contents includes:
- Who is this course for?
- A little bit about me and why I created this guide.
- Why learn how to throw a cylinder on the potter’s wheel?
- Health and Safety.
- What Tools, Equipment and Materials do I need to get started?
- How to prepare a bat to throw a cylinder on top of?
- How to throw a cylinder? (Also please see the linked video demonstration)
- How to check the thickness of the cylinder?
- How to throw to the same height and Width? (Ideal for repeat shapes)
- Conclusion. Suppliers: Were to buy the Tools, Equipment and Materials shown in this content.
You will also have access to one video (link provided in the pdf) from me demonstrating How to throw a Cylinder on the Potter's Wheel.
This Couse is designed for anyone over the age of 8. Children can do this course but it is recommended he/she has adult supervision.
This course is for people that are beginners who are wanting to learn the basics of “How to Throw a Cylinder on the Potter’s Wheel. It is also for people who are experienced and would like to top up on the skills they already have, lean new ones and become more efficient.
To do this course you will need access to a dedicated space to work in, a potter’s wheel, clay and ceramic tools.
I wanted to put in everything I have learned about throwing a Cylinder on the potter’s wheel and all the related information in one place to save you time having to look for it either through books or the internet.
I also realise the need to focus on acquiring skills that relate to the individual’s needs. That is why I have created this focused step by step guide for you.