How to Wedge Clay
Would you like to learn how to Wedge Clay? Are you currently looking to learn new ceramic skills or would you like to recap on the skills you already have?
Wedging clay ensures that the clay is consistently even meaning there is no hard and soft parts to it and gets rid of any trapped pockets of air to prevent pieces braking in the kiln and improves the flexibility of the clay. This process prepares the clay for techniques such as throwing on the potter's wheel, hand building, coiling and extruding. It is the foundation to many clay process.
In this downloadable content you will receive a 22 page PDF document with colour images with a step by step guide and tips. The contents includes:
- Who is this course for?
- A little bit about me and why I created this guide.
- Why wedge clay?
- Health and Safety.
- What Tools and Equipment do I need to get started? Including Tips.
- What types of clay can I use? Including Tips.
- How much clay should I use?
- What are the different types of wedging? (Also please see the linked video demonstrations)
- How to check for trapped air in the clay?
- How to prepare the clay for throwing on the potter’s wheel, hand building, extruding and coiling. Including Tips.
- Conclusion. Suppliers: Were to buy the Tools, Equipment and Materials shown in this content. Other related helpful recourses.
You will also have access to two videos (links provided in the pdf) from me demonstrating How to Wedge Clay.
This Couse is designed for anyone over the age of 8. Children can do this course but it is recommended he/she has adult supervision.
This course is for people that are beginners who are wanting to learn the basics of “How to Wedge Clay". It is also for people who are experienced and would like to top up on the skills they already have, lean new ones and become more efficient.
To do this course the most important things you will need will be access to a dedicated space to work in, a table, clay and ceramic tools.
I wanted to put in everything I have learned about Wedging Clay and all the related information in one place to save you time having to look for it either through books or the internet.
I also realise the need to focus on acquiring skills that relate to the individual’s needs. That is why I have created this focused step by step guide for you.